GNM Nursing Syllabus 2021 Profile
As you know, GNM is a three year diploma course with six months internship in the field of General Nursing and Midwifery. The curriculum program is designed in such a way that it enables the students to meet the health needs of the country. Not only this, after the diploma course you can also do higher studies in this field. Before enrolling in the course, candidates should see the complete course description for reference.
GNM Nursing 2021 Academic Structure
The general nursing and midwifery curriculum has been divided into three years since the duration of the course. Thus, in this section, we have provided a detailed structure of the GNM 2021 syllabus and GNM Nursing Syllabus . In GNM, you also have a six-month internship, which we have mentioned in the previous section. Candidates wishing to take the GNM course should gather all the information about the course and only then enroll in it. The admission process of different institutes can also be different, so you should read the information brochure carefully for GNM Nursing Syllabus .
Download GNM Nursing Syllabus 2021 – In Details
In this section, we have mentioned all the topics covered in the academic syllabus of GNM Nursing 2021. Hence, you can check the list of topics and chapters here. Also, in each semester year, candidates have to study the mentioned subjects.
GNM first year syllabus 2021
In the first year of GNM Syllabus 2021, you have the following major topics –
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Fundamentals of Nursing
- First Aid and
- Personal Hygiene
GNM first year syllabus In Hindi 2021
- शरीर रचना विज्ञान और शरीर विज्ञान
- नागरिक सास्त्र
- नर्सिंग की मूल बातें
- प्राथमिक चिकित्सा और
- व्यक्तिगत स्वच्छता
Now, let’s check the detailed syllabus of the GNM First Year Syllabus 2021
GNM first year syllabus PDF Download
|Topics||Detailed Topics/ Chapters||Theory Hours and Practice Supervised|
|Anatomy and Physiologyशरीर रचना विज्ञान और शरीर विज्ञान||
|Fundamentals of Nursingनर्सिंग की मूल बातें||
|First Aidप्राथमिक चिकित्सा||
|Community Health Nursingसामुदायिक स्वास्थ्य नर्सिंग||
|Environmental Hygieneपर्यावरण स्वच्छता||
|Health Education and Communication Skillsस्वास्थ्य शिक्षा और संचार कौशल||
|Total Hours in the First Year||575 Hours|
Summary of the GNM Nursing Syllabus 1st year 2021
|Biological Science||120 Hours|
|Behavioral Science||60 Hours|
|Fundamentals of Nursing||215 Hours|
|Community Health Nursing||150 Hours|
|Total Hours for the First Year||575 Hours|
GNM Nursing Syllabus 2nd Year
In the second year of General Nursing and Midwifery, candidates have to study the following topics-
- Medical-Surgical Nursing I
- Communicable Diseases
- Ear, Nose, and Throat
- Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing
- Community Health Nursing
- Computer Education
GNM Nursing Syllabus 2nd Year In Hindi
- मेडिकल-सर्जिकल नर्सिंग I
- संचारी रोग
- कान, नाक और गला
- ऑन्कोलॉजी / त्वचा
- मानसिक स्वास्थ्य और मनोरोग नर्सिंग
- सामुदायिक स्वास्थ्य नर्सिंग
- कंप्यूटर शिक्षा
The detailed syllabus of Second Year GNM 2021 is as follows-
GNM Second year syllabus PDF Download
|Topics||Detailed Topics/Chapters||Total Hours|
|Ear, Nose, and Throat||
|Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing||
|Community Health Nursingसामुदायिक स्वास्थ्य नर्सिंग||
|Computer Educationकंप्यूटर शिक्षा||
|Total Hours of the Second Year||360 Hours|
Summary of the GNM Second Year Syllabus 2021
|Subject Topics||Total Hours|
|Medical-Surgical Nursing- I (including Pharmacology)||140 Hours|
|Medical-Surgical Nursing- II (Specialities)||120 Hours|
|Mental-Health and Psychiatric Nursing||70 Hours|
|Computer Education||30 Hours|
|Total Hours of Second Year||360 Hours|
GNM Nursing Syllabus 3rd Year
The Third Year is the Final Year of the GNM Nursing Syllabus 2021. There are some institutes that have another academic session (4th Year). The main subjects/ topics of the General Nursing and Midwifery 2021 is as follows-
- Midwifery and Gynecological Nursing
- Community Health Nursing – II
- Paediatric Nursing
GNM Nursing Syllabus 3rd Year In Hindi
- मिडवाइफरी और गायनोकोलॉजिकल नर्सिंग
- सामुदायिक स्वास्थ्य नर्सिंग – II
- बाल चिकित्सा नर्सिंग
The detailed subject/topic description of the GNM Syllabus of the third year is as follows-
GNM Nursing Syllabus Second year PDF Download Now
|Subjects||Detailed Topics/ Subjects||Total Hours|
|Midwifery and Gynaecological Nursingमिडवाइफरी और गायनोकोलॉजिकल नर्सिंग||
|Community Health Nursing -IIसामुदायिक स्वास्थ्य नर्सिंग -II||
|Pediatric Nursingबाल चिकित्सा नर्सिंग||
|Total Hours of Study||360 Hours|
What are the Subjects of Study in GNM?
Well, till now you must have figured out the subject topics that are available in General Nursing and Midwifery. Now, we have provided the list of total subjects that are included in this three-year duration GNM Course Program. The candidates should have knowledge of what all study areas are covered during the course.
|Subjects of Study in GNM Nursing Syllabus 2021 – Course Program|
|Biological Sciences||Anatomy and Physiology||Microbiology||Behavioral Sciences|
|Psychology||Sociology||Fundamentals of Nursing-I||Fundamentals of Nursing-II|
|First Aid||Personal Hygiene||Community Health Nursing-I||Community Health Nursing|
|Environmental Hygiene||Health-Education and Communication Skills||Nutrition||English|
|English||Midwifery and Gynaecological Nursing||Community Health Nursing-II||Medical-Surgical Nursing I|
|Medical-Surgical Nursing||Pharmacology||Medical-Surgical Nursing II (Specialities)||Communicable Diseases|
|Orthopedic Nursing||Ear, Nose, and Throat||Oncology/Skin||Ophthalmic Nursing|
|Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing||Community Health Nursing||Computer Education||Introduction to Research|
|Professional Trends and Adjustment||Administration and Ward Management||Health Economics||Educational Methods and Media for Teaching in Practice of Nursing|
GNM Syllabus 2021 – Internship Period Syllabus
Every General Nursing and Midwifery Academic Course has a six-months of Internship Course. After the completion of the Internship Program, candidates receive their Diploma Degree in GNM. Moreover, in some of the institutes, it is a must to go through an internship. Whereas, in others, you may or may not do that.
|Internship Subjects||Total Hours|
|Educational Methods and Media for teaching in practice of Nursing||45 Hours|
|Introduction to Research||40 Hours|
|Professional Trends and Adjustment||40 Hours|
|Administration and Ward Management||45 Hours|
|Health Economics||20 Hours|
|Total Hours in Internship||190 Hours|
GNM Nursing Syllabus 2021 – Internship Syllabus in Details
Now, let’s check the detailed syllabus of the Internship Period. The Internship Period is for six months. Thus, the GNM Nursing Syllabus of the internship period is as follows:
Educational Methods and Media for teaching in the practice of Nursing
This course is designed to introduce the students to the concept of teaching, its relationship to nursing, and effective communication in nursing.
- Aim and Purpose of the Education
- Meaning and Teaching and Learning
- Principles of Teaching and Learning
- Teaching Responsibilities of a Nurse
- Methods of Teaching and Clinical Teaching
- Preparation of Teaching Plan
- Definition, Purposes, and Types of Media
- Preparation and Use of Audio-Visual Aids, Graphic Aids, Printed Aids, Three Dimensional Aids, and Projected Aids
- Limitations, Advantages, and uses of different types of media.
- Students have to organize teaching in the wards/ clinic using the nursing process approach
- Prepare a variety of Audio-Visual Aids to implement their teaching either individually or in groups.
- Students also have to submit a teaching plan to the concerned teacher of that selected clinical area.
GNM 2021 Syllabus – Introduction to Research
This course is intended to develop fundamental abilities and attitudes in the students towards scientific methods of Investigation so as to improve the practice of Nursing.
- Meaning of Research
- Steps in Scientific Research
- Need for Nursing Research
- Characteristics of Good Research
Unit-II Introduction to Research Process
- Statement to Research Problem
- Statement to Purposes and Objectives
- Definition of Research Terms
- Review of Literature
Unit-III Introduction to Research Approaches
- Types, Methods, and Advantages, and Disadvantages of each method
Unit-IV Introduction to Data Collection Process
- Data Collection
- Instruments of Data Collection
- Characteristics of Data Collection
- Techniques of Data Collection
Unit-V Introduction to the Analysis of Data
- Classification and Summarization
- Presentation and Interpretation and Data Using Descriptive Statistics
Unit-VI Writing of Report
Unit-VII Introduction to the Statistics
Unit-VIII Application and Utilization of Research in Nursing Practice
- Students have to do research literature in the Library and participate and assist in the conduction of scientific investigation in any health bare setting with the help of the teacher.
- Submit a report of the investigation in a group of five and six to the respective teacher of the selected clinical area.
Professional Trends and Adjustment – GNM Nursing Syllabus 2021
This course helps the students to understand the career opportunities available, limitations of nursing professional development.
Unit-I Introduction to Nursing as a Profession
- Definition and Criteria as the Nursing Profession
- Evolution of Nursing Profession in India.
- Educational Preparation
- Qualities/ Role and Characteristics of Professional Nurse
Unit-II Professional Ethics
- Meaning and Relationship of Professional Ethics
- Codes of Ethics for the nurses, Nightingale Pledge
- The procedure of Employment – Locating a Position, Applying and Accepting a Position, etc.
- Unit-III Personal and Professional Growth/ Development
- Unit-IV Legislation in Nursing
- Unit-V Professional and Related Organizations
Administration and Ward Management
- Unit-I Introduction: Meaning and Philosophy of Administration and Management and their significance, Elements, and Administration
- Unit-II: Planning Aims, Principles, Methods, and Types
- Unit-III: Organization, Command, Co-ordination and Control, Delegation, Staffing, and Budgeting.
- Unit-IV: Administration of a Hospital Unit or a Ward
- The student has to work in the ward/ health center with Ward Sister/ Public Health Nurse.
- Preparation of Duty Roster and Solving Problems.
- The students also get the experience of working in the Hostel Kitchen, Clinics, and Camps organized by the Hospital.
- The Project has to be taken by an Individual/ Group of Students in related fields on selected topics or problems.
- The student also has to submit a written report to their respective teachers in the selected clinical area.
- This experience may be planned as a part of the experience in various clinical areas with a proper experience record should be maintained.
- Unit-I Introduction to the Economics: Definition and Meaning, Dimensions of the Economics, Positive and Normative Economics
- Unit-II Introduction to the Health Economics
- The concept of the Health Economics
- Focus on the Health Economics
- Areas of the Health Economics
- Causes of Health Problems in India
- Unit-III Costs of Health Care
- Concepts of Costs, Types of Costs
- Opportunity Cost, Total Fixed and Variable Cost, Average Marginal and Sunk Costs.
- Cost Benefits and Cost-Effectiveness
- Unit-IV Demand and Supply in Health Care
- Concept and Demand, Need, Supply Input, Output
- Production Function
- Industry and Market
- Structure of the Healthcare Care Industry
- Characteristics of the Healthcare Services Market
- Demand Side and Supply Side
- Unit-V Financing of Health Care in India
- Financing System and Allocation
- Sources of Financing of the Healthcare Services
- Health Plans and Outlays, the relative role of the State and the Central Government on Financing of the Health Care Services
- Factor’s Influencing the state’s ability to finance health care services.
GNM Reference Books 2021
Well for preparing all these courses, the students have to follow some books. Thus, we have listed some of the good books for GNM 2021. Take a look at the list of the subject books of GNM Nursing Syllabus 2021 –22
|Name of the Book||Author of the Book|
|Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology||Kaarna Muni Sekhar|
|Community Health Nursing||S. Bhagyalakshmi|
|Psychology and Sociology||K. Madhvi|
|Medical-Surgical Nursing||P.M Pratibha|
|Child Health Nursing||S.Gomathi|
|GNM Midwifery Case Book||Mrs. P. Lavanya|
|Community Health Nursing||G.Gnanaprasune|