IAS Eligibility Criteria 2022: IAS Age limit, Educational Qualification & More
IAS Eligibility Criteria 2022 : The IAS eligibility criteria states that the age of the candidates should be between 21-32 years to be eligible for the IAS exam. However, there is some age relaxation for the reserved categories candidates specified in the IAS eligibility criteria. To apply for IAS (UPSC CSE) exam, candidates must have a graduation or equivalent degree in any discipline. If the candidates fail to fulfill the IAS eligibility criteria, their application form will automatically be rejected.
As per the UPSC 2022 calendar, UPSC CSE Notification 2022 will be released on February 2, 2022. The notification will contain the detailed eligibility criteria for IAS (UPSC CSE) 2022. Candidates are advised to read the eligibility conditions mentioned in the notification carefully. Even with restrictions to avoid any inconvenience or disqualification. UPSC (IAS) 2022 vacancy details will also be announced in the UPSC notification 2022.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for free UPSC preparation tips along with IAS (UPSC CSE) previous years question papers. Check out the preparation strategy of UPSC Topper Shubham Kumar. Check out the IAS (UPSC ESE) 2022 exam centre.
IAS Eligibility Criteria (UPSC) Eligibility Overview
The eligibility criteria for the IAS exam is summarized in the table below. However, the candidates must also check the detailed eligibility criteria for each category.
|Age Criteria||21- 32 years|
|Age Relaxation||3-10 years as per category|
|Educational Qualification||Graduation (Minimum)|
|Physical Standards||As per the Rank or post|
|Attempts Allowed for IAS (UPSC CSE)||6 attempts (There is no restriction for SC/ST candidates)|
IAS (UPSC CSE) has multilevel eligibility criteria. Different criteria for classification are as follows:-
- Age criteria and relaxation
- Educational Qualification
- Physical Standard
- Number of attempts allowed
|IAS (UPSC CSE) Admit Card||IAS (UPSC CSE) Optional Syllabus||IAS (UPSC CSE) Selection Process|
|IAS (UPSC CSE) Cutoff||IAS (UPSC CSE) Toppers’ Strategy||IAS (UPSC CSE) Salary|
IAS Age Limit and Relaxation – Maximum & Minimum Age to appear for UPSC Exam
There is an age limit set by the Union Public Service Commission for the candidates appearing for the UPSC 2022 exam. A candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and the upper age limit for candidates belonging to the general category is 32 years.
Check out UPSC 2020 Toppers List.
IAS (UPSC CSE) Age Relaxation
|Category||Maximum Age Limit for IAS (UPSC CSE)|
|Other Backward Castes (OBC)||35 Years|
|Economically Weaker Section (EWS)||32 Years|
|Physically Disabled Candidates||42 Years|
Some important details regarding reserved category candidates are mentioned below:
- A maximum relaxation of three years in the case of Defense Service personnel, incapable of operating during hostilities with any foreign country or in disturbed area and consequently is issued. Read IAS Reservation Criteria
- Five years relaxation is provided to candidates belonging to Ex-Servicemen, including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs, who have rendered military services for at least five years as on August 01, 2022, and have been released
- On completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is to be completed within one year from August 01, 2022, otherwise than by way of dismissal
- or discharge on account of misconduct or incapacity.
- Due to physical disability due to military service.
- on invalid.
- Relaxation up to a maximum of five years will be given in case of ECOs/SSCOs who have completed the initial period of assignment of five years of military service by August 01, 2022.
- Those whose work has been extended beyond five years and in whose case the Ministry of Defense issues a certificate that they may apply for civilian employment and shall be given three months notice on selection from the date of receipt of an offer But will be released. meeting.
|UPSC Toppers’ Strategy for IAS Interview|
Note: No age relaxation will be given to the candidates who are domicile of Jammu and Kashmir from 2022 onwards. However, the syllabus of IAS (UPSC CSE) Preliminary Exam will be same for all the candidates
IAS (UPSC CSE) Eligibility: Number of Attempts
There is a specified number of attempts that the candidate can take for the IAS Exams. However, the limitations vary according to the reservation of the category.
|Category||Number of IAS Attempts|
|Other Backward Castes (OBC)||9 Attempts|
|Economically Weaker Section (EWS)||6 Attempts|
|SC/ST||Till the age limit|
|Physically Disabled Candidates||For General and OBC aspirants: 9 Attempts SC/ST Aspirants: Unlimited times till the age limit|
IAS (UPSC CSE) Eligibility: Educational Qualification
UPSC has specified a minimum educational qualification required for candidates who wish to get recruited in All India Services. Following are the detailed eligibility criteria pertaining to educational qualification.
- Candidates who wish to appear for UPSC Civil Services Exam must hold a graduation degree from any University which has been incorporated by the Act of Parliament or which is to be declared as a Deemed University by the University Grants Commission or he/she must possess an equivalent qualification for IAS (UPSC CSE) Exam.
- However, there are several exceptions that may be treated by the commission.
Check Current Affairs 2022.
Exceptions for IAS (UPSC CSE) Eligibility Criteria
- The candidates who are waiting for the result of their graduation are eligible for IAS Preliminary Exam but they have to submit the degree at the time of appearing in UPSC IAS Main Exam.
Eligibility for the IAS (UPSC CSE) exam is considered on the basis that he has passed the examination conducted by other institutions, the standard of which in the opinion of the commission justifies his admission to the IAS examination 2022.
Candidates having professional and technical degree recognized by the Government of India will also be eligible to appear in the IAS (UPSC CSE) exam.
IAS (UPSC CSE) will provisionally admit candidates with a professional MBBS degree or passed any other medical examination but have not completed internship. This is applicable only when he/she submits a copy of the certificate from the concerned authority of the University/Institute along with the IAS online application.
IAS Eligibility Criteria 2022 : Nationality
- citizen of india
- a theme of nepal
- a theme of Bhutan
- a refugee from Tibet who came to India before the 1st day of January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling, or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia,
- Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India, provided that Nepal , Bhutan, Tibetan Refugees and other categories of candidates of Indian origin from the countries mentioned above will be given a certificate of eligibility issued by the Government of India.
|UPSC Toppers’ Strategy for Optional Papers|
Note: A candidate who is a subject of Nepal, Bhutan, or is a Tibetan refugee will not be considered eligible for appointment to the Indian Foreign Services. Also, candidates who will be required to produce a certificate of eligibility will be admitted to the IAS exam, but the appointment will be granted after submission of a certificate issued by the Government of India.
Check out NCERT Notes on Art, Literature, Architecture And Culture
IAS Eligibility Criteria 2o22 : Physical Standards
Candidates who wish to seek employment in any post of All India Services have to appear and pass a physical test conducted by the Commission in accordance with the rules and regulations laid down by the Government of India.
- It is very important to be physically fit for efficient discharge of duties and services.
- For recruitment in civil services, it is necessary for the candidate to be mentally healthy as well.
- If the candidate fails to fulfill the requirements of being mentally and physically fit to discharge the duties, he/she will not be appointed.
See Roles and Duties of an IAS Officer.
- Mahesh Barnwal Geography Book PDF in Hindi Download
- 10 Lines On Basant Panchami
- The Duke and I PDF Book
- The Oxford Hindi English Dictionary PDF | Oxford Dictionary PDF DOWNLOAD Oxford Dictionary English to Hindi 2022
- CDS Eligibility Criteria 2022: Age Limit for CDS, Qualification,& Physical Standard
Hospitals to conduct medical tests for UPSC Civil Services Exam
Seven hospitals have been designated to conduct medical examination of candidates who are willing to be employed in civil service posts in Delhi. The names of the designated hospitals are:
- Safdarjung Hospital
- Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital
- Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital
- Sucheta Kriplani Hospital
- Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital
- Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital
- BR Ambedkar Hospital
- Female candidates will also be examined in the above-mentioned hospitals.
- For candidates with Physical Disability, the following hospitals will be conducting medical examination as per their IAS Prelims:
- Safdarjung Hospital
- Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital
- Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital
- Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital
- Candidates who will require Appellate Specialized Medical Board for eye conditions will be sent to Guru Nanak Eye Centre, New Delhi for medical examination. Check UPSC Mains syllabus
Restriction of Candidates for IAS Exam (UPSC CSE)
- A candidate who has been appointed as an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer or an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer on the basis of the results of an
- earlier examination and continues to be a member of that service will not be eligible to appear in the IAS exam. Read IAS Exam Center
- If so the candidates will be appointed in IAS/IFS after the conduction of IAS Preliminary Examination. In such case the candidates shall continue to be members of
- that service and shall not be eligible to appear in the IAS Main Examination.
- If a candidate gets appointed to the IAS or IFS after appearing in the IAS Main examination before the declaration of the IAS exam result and continues to be a member of that service, he/she will not be eligible for appointment to any service. on the basis of ias result
IAS Eligibility Criteria (UPSC CSE) FAQs
Question. Which branch of engineering is eligible for IAS?
Answer. Candidates having engineering degree from any branch are eligible to apply for IAS exam. A candidate having any kind of technical degree from an institute recognized by the central or state government can apply for IAS.
Question. Is AMIE degree considered for IAS qualification?
Answer. AMIE is considered equivalent to B.Tech. And hence, candidates having AMIE degree are eligible to apply for IAS exam.
Question. I am doing dual degree in M.Tech. Am I eligible for UPSC 2022?
Answer. Yes, you will be eligible for UPSC 2022. According to UPSC, candidates who have appeared in their final examination or are completing their degree course in 2022 are also eligible to apply for IAS 2022.
Question. I am in my third year of engineering. Can I apply for UPSC?
Answer. No, if you are in 3rd year of engineering then you cannot apply for UPSC 2022 because you must have completed graduation before the start of application process of UPSC 2022, which means if you are in the last of your 8th semester in 2020. stage, you could consider applying for IAS 2022.
Answer. Yes, the minimum qualification required to apply for the IAS exam is graduation. You can check the detailed IAS eligibility criteria in the above article.
Answer. There is no minimum marks or percentage required to apply for UPSC exam and hence, your graduation marks will not affect UPSC exam. However, if you are in the final year of your graduation and applying for IAS but fail in the final exam, you cannot appear for the exam.
Question. What is the eligibility for Medical Fitness Test for IAS?
Answer. There are no height, weight and chest circumference specifications for IAS aspirants, but if a candidate is found disproportionate in body composition during a medical checkup, he will be sent for further tests and X-rays. IAS posting requires stable mental and physical health and will undergo medical examination at various government recognized medical centres. You can find detailed physical fitness criteria for IAS in the above article.
Question. What is the maximum age limit to appear in IAS exam?
Answer. The maximum age limit for IAS is 32 years. However, there is also age relaxation for reserved categories which you can find in detail in the above article.
Question. I am doing B.Sc (IT). Am I eligible for IAS?
Answer. Yes, graduation is the minimum required educational qualification for IAS and hence, B.Sc. Qualified in IT. If you have already graduated or are in final year of graduation, you can apply for IAS.
Question. Is Diploma holder eligible for UPSC?
Answer. No, just a diploma degree is not enough to be eligible for IAS exam as the minimum required qualification is graduation.
Question. Is BA without honors eligible for IAS exam?
Answer. Yes, candidates having BA without honors are eligible for IAS exam provided it is done from any recognized central or state university.
Question. How many marks are required in 12th for IAS?
Answer. There is no such criterion of minimum marks obtained in class 12 as specified in IAS eligibility criteria. To be eligible for the IAS exam, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree.