Daily Current Affairs and GK 25 June 2022
1. Indian Oil and Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas developed an indoor solar cooking system ‘Surya Nutan’.
- Indoor solar cooking system ‘Surya Nutan’ collects solar energy and converts it into heat energy with the help of specially designed heating element.
- The system has been installed at 60 locations for testing. It is a stable, rechargeable and always connected indoor solar cooking system to the kitchen.
- It can operate in hybrid mode and use solar and an auxiliary power source simultaneously. It can work in all weathers.
- The ‘Surya Nutan’ cooktop can be used even when the sun is not visible for several days.
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOC): It is a Maharatna PSU which was formed in 1959. It is owned by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
Subject: National Appointments
2. Dinkar Gupta has been appointed as the Director General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Dinkar Gupta as the Director General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
- He is currently serving as the Special Director in the Intelligence Bureau. He has been appointed till 31 March 2024.
- He will take over from Kuldeep Singh, who was given additional charge of NIA in May 2021.
- Swgar Das has been appointed as Special Secretary (Internal Security) in the Ministry of Home Affairs.
National Investigation Agency (NIA):
- It is a central agency that investigates terrorism related cases across the country.
- It was formed in 2008 under the provision of NIA Act, 2008.
- Its headquarter is located in New Delhi.
Subject: Banking System
3. RBI issued draft guidelines for banks and NBFCs to outsource IT services.
- As per RBI’s draft on outsourcing of information technology (IT) services, outsourcing of IT-enabled services to regulatory entities (REs) will not require prior approval from the central bank.
- Banks, payments banks, co-operative banks, credit information companies, NBFCs and other regulated entities will have to put in place a comprehensive board-approved IT outsourcing policy.
- RBI has also proposed to set up a robust grievance redressal mechanism for redressal of customer complaints relating to outsourced services.
- As per the draft, the risk management framework for outsourcing IT services will have to deal with identification, measurement, mitigation/management and reporting of risks associated with outsourcing.
- In addition to norms relating to the use of cloud computing services and outsourcing of security operations centers (SoCs), the draft also specifies the role of the board and senior management.
- RBI has sought suggestions from stakeholders on this draft by July 22.
Subject: International News
4. The European Union granted Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia candidate status for membership.
- The European Parliament voted in favor of a proposal to grant candidate status to Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia.
- 529 votes were cast in support of the motion and 45 in opposition, while 14 members did not participate in the voting.
- Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia will have to undertake a number of political and economic reforms to join the European Union.
- The European Council, consisting of the heads of all 27 EU governments, will eventually vote on Ukraine’s membership.